Sunday, September 12, 2004

Talking about India

Now I want to talk a little about India. Why India?

Well, really I don't know why!
Everything started about 14 years ago when my cousin Marzia asked me to leave with other friends. I gave up my job (I worked as a waitress at that time) and gone.... So happy I've done it! I was 21, just finished the school, didn't know anything about life .....
The trip was from 19 December ’89 to 15 January ’90 starting from Delhi to Agra then Varanasi, Khajuraho, Goa (Benaulim) and then Mumbai.
The group was formed by me , Marzia , Alberto (our friend, a very experienced traveller), his son and his “girlfriend”.
Some few words about Alberto: he usually travelled only with his camera and a little haversack , used only public transport, eat always “street food” (only sometimes in restaurant like Leopold’s in Mumbai) and for the accommodation he chose always budget hotel .
During our trip he was the captain and we were the crew, we followed him everywhere and did what he said without saying a word.
And that’s how I started to love India so much, due to Alberto and his roughness and to the fact that that year he dared us to follow him and we win!

Now I am 36 (the age of Alberto at that time), this year will be my fourth time in India and the third with my husband.
If Alberto is still alive he will be about 50 . But he is no longer with us cause to his heart disease. He died in 1997 after he came back from his last journey in India. I think he died happy because as he always said to us he lived in the way he like without worry about the illness.

… and when I think to India always think a little to him.

The group


After the journey, when I came back home, I feel like as a new me was born.
I found my love, Mauro, and after one year I was back with him.
50 days of an incredible, funny and awesome trip around Ma India.
Other things happened into my life after that (good and bad) but never stoped think about India.
It's only in 1997, when we decided to marry off, that we went again for our honeymoon


We spent 4 weeks trhough Rajasthan and absolutely loved it!

1997 - In the desert

Rajasthan, the Land of the Kings: the Rajput.
The Golden city of Jaisalmer; the blue Jodhpur; the relaxed Udaipur; the pink Jaipur.
Every town here has a colour, a smell, an idea of.......don't know what. And the people is fantastic, so friendly and helpful: can't forget Manu or Gandhisham and all the other.....